[ilds] Justine - pole star criminal

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 3 07:13:21 PDT 2007

Cf. the dedication to the Menuhins in Sicilian Carousel:  "For Diana and Yehudi, fixed stars."  Pole-stars or fixed stars are positive attributes.  Nor do I know of any maleficent stars in Durrell's universe.  This doesn't explain Ahmed Zananiri, but the epithet suggests, to me, a paradox or oxymoron.  Whoever the guy is, Durrell admires him.

Bruce