[ilds] Justine - pole star criminal

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 3 06:03:54 PDT 2007

Before we crash out of Justine, there is something I am curious about
in the last section, what Durrell initially called Consequential Data
and later called Work Points.

There are the character-squeezes.  Some of these people are characters
in Justine, and some are not.  There is one that particularly arouses
my interest, and that is 'Ahmed Zananiri: pole-star criminal'.  Durrell
knew a Zananiri in Alexandria (his first name was Gaston, and he served
in some measure as the model for Balthazar); but what does 'pole-star
criminal' bring to mind?

:Michael