[ilds] RG Justine -- durrell in the bookshops (a postscript before parting)

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Mon Jul 2 19:08:59 PDT 2007

I am just back from reading through bookshop inventories, and Durrell's
/Justine /continues its rise with no stopping in sight.  Anyone seeking
a Faber 1st edition/1st impression of /Justine /with dust jacket will
find a single copy running from around US $2300 - $4500.   A Faber
1st/2nd impression shows up for around US $500.  Rather curiously, even
the Dutton edition of /Justine /now sometime runs into several hundred
dollars, and the Franklin Library signed edition has jumped to US $160 -
$200, which is a significant rise from the last time I checked.

So there is my answer for Bruce.  /Justine /is by no means "broken."
Rather the novel is a sound investment.  Hold on to what you have.

Good deals can still be found out by those who are persistent and
attentive.  And I note that some dealers specializing in Durrell's works
are advertising all four Faber volumes in one lot for about the same
price as those high single /Justine /volumes.

I will offer up one additional curiosity from my tour of the shops:

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu