[ilds] Bitter Lemons

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 16:22:43 PDT 2007

Marc Piel wrote:

> Surely you are all "readers" and doing exactly
> what Barthes described????

That's exactly the point.  Even when we pursue the author's intentions
in lieu of our own instincts or predispositions, we are the one's in
control.  I'm sure even Michael would admit that he is a good example of
a very strong reader...

Meanwhile, Bruce commented:

> I just don't believe Barthes's axiom and will not turn
 > a literary work over to the whims of the reader.

Ah, Bruce, but in these matters the reader has a whim of iron, as
Betjeman might have put it.  Even pursuing the author's biographical
essentialism is the reader's whim, and I know very few readers who will
bend.

Best,