[ilds] Bitter Lemons

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 2 12:28:55 PDT 2007

James, good to have a companion here.  Good summary.  I'm with you on your points 2-3, but can't go along with 1 and 4.  As for 1, authors are probably always reworking reality to suit their ends, so I don't know what "reality usurps literary interventions" means.  And as for 4, I just don't believe Barthes's axiom and will not turn a literary work over to the whims of the reader.  Now, you may say the proposal that Othello influences Bitter Lemons is a whim, but I say I tried to anchor that allusion in its appropriateness to the text and Durrell's life/method.

Bruce