[ilds] Freud Returns

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 2 11:51:52 PDT 2007

I haven't read the Scientific American issue on Freud, but, if I may readily jump to conclusions, I suspect the articles have something to do with neurological research proving the "existence" of an unconscious area of the brain.  Which I have no problems with.  But how do scientists brain-scan a myth or find the ghost in the machine?  The myth is Freud's invention, not the fact of some unconscious mechanism.  Over the past thirty years, historians of science have criticized and refuted Freud's methodology and explanation for the unconscious.  His whole mythology about repression, as exemplified in "Seduction Theory," has been shown bogus.  Freud offered all kinds of enticing theories, especially so to literary theorists, who are irresistibly attracted to the method -- Freud, after all, was a great storyteller -- but none of these conjectures have ever been proved empirically over the last century.  Of course, Freudian theory also provides a convenient escape mechanism for its unprovability, namely, not acknowledging the validity of the theory is evidence of resistance to the theory.  I say no more.

Bruce