[ilds] Bitter Lemons

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:37:48 PDT 2007

Bruce asks:

 > now that Durrell's fictive approach to non-fiction
 > has been exposed, I wonder about the opening in
 > Venice.  Did he actually start his journey in la
 > Serenissima or was it bit of invention -- a nod
 > towards the beginning of Othello and the tragedy
 > both the Moor and Durrell encounter on Cyprus?

I would not be at all surprised if your speculation is right, though
it's primarily a biographical matter.  In my experience, Durrell works
quite freely with his "creative non-fiction."  Comparing the travel
books or short stories to his letters usually points out numerous
differences.

But, I like that opening...  If it's fiction, I'm glad he changed the
reality!

Best,