[ilds] Thursday Next

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun Jun 17 16:04:53 PDT 2007

Beatrice,

Do you know who Thursday Next is? Only in the mind of Thursday and
her elk could there be a literary theft here.

There is connection between the two hydroplanes -- in the real world.
But in the world of books -- which is a world of imagination -- I can
imagine that the two hydroplanes are connected, that Durrell has
appropriated Gatsby's hydroplane. I was playing off of Chris
Bachelder's forthcoming short story on Gatsby's disappearing
hydroplane. You see the world of books really does transcend the
world we live in.

Bill

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *