[ilds] who reads Justine these days?

Anna Lillios lillios at mail.ucf.edu
Sun Jun 17 08:18:12 PDT 2007

When I was a student at Bennington College, I took a course on the novel from Alan Cheuse.  I didn't trust his judgment then--and I don't now.  He's not the type of person to appreciate Durrell.  Who's read THE GRANDMOTHER'S CLUB and THE LIGHT POSSESSED (Cheuse's novels)?  Just because he has a job at NPR doesn't mean he is the nation's arbiter of literature that will last the test of time.  His novels surely haven't.

                                                                                                            --AL

Dr. Anna Lillios
Associate Professor of English
Department of English
University of Central Florida
P.O. Box 161346
Orlando, Florida 32816-1346

Phone: (407) 823-5161
FAX: (407) 823-6582
>>> MICHAEL HAAG <michaelhaag at btinternet.com> 06/16/07 6:35 PM >>>
http://neglectedbooks.com/?p=163

  :Michael

slighcl <slighcl at wfu.edu> wrote:

nudepainting%20copy.jpg

**

The hammer falls, a record tumbles ... for now

The Age - Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
The painting, titled Justine, depicts Whiteley's wife Wendy on Bondi
Beach, reading the novel Justine by modernist writer *Lawrence Durrell*.
*...*
See all stories on this topic

The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Stay in Touch
Hot on the heels of the record-breaking sale of Brett Whiteley's The
Olgas for Ernest ... Goodman announced yesterday that the large oil
painting Justine, ...
blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/2007/06/culture_whiteley_for_a_beach_h.html
- Jun 14, 2007

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu