[ilds] Cento construction

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 17 07:03:37 PDT 2007

I have the same problem Marc Piel has.  The term "cento" has been thrown around, defined, and applied to Justine, but I too don't really understand either the genre, if such, and the connection.  To call Justine a cento, seems to me, rather inappropriate, especially as Princeton Univ. Press would have it.  "Patchwork" is the key term, and Justine is not a patchwork, as I visualize one.  Patchwork means you see the patches and focus on them and their relationships.  I occasionally see some patches in J, but that's incidental to the main image.  Bill called Joyce's Finnegans Wake a cento, FW being perhaps the most bizarre work in English literature and beyond classification.  That comparison I don't understand either.  I guess I don't understand a lot of things.  I would like, however, to know more about Marc's classification system of definers of "cento."  That should prove an interesting cento of ILDS participants.

Bruce