[ilds] the hydroplane?

MICHAEL HAAG michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 16 19:11:27 PDT 2007

In this case, the duck shoot, and hunting on Lake
Mariut (Mareotis) generally, hydroplanes refers to
shallow draught boats with a propeller mounted at the
rear.  The lake was and is shallow, indeed large parts
of it evaporate during summer so that you can walk
across its bed.  Maybe I will include a photograph
taken in the 1930s-40s of such a hydroplane on Mariut
in my forthcoming Vintage Alexandria photograph book.

:Michael