[ilds] the hydroplane?

Beatrice Skordili bskordil at otenet.gr
Sat Jun 16 15:26:13 PDT 2007

I think Bill that maybe Durrell wasn't thinking of Gatsby, but his own
experience. The place where Durrell probably saw hydroplanes was Corfu. I
have no documented reference by him, but in Corfu airport there are pictures
of the first airplane service to the island which was by hydroplane in the
late 30s I believe--and I think, but I am not sure, that the planes landed
somewhere up north not near Corfu town (maybe Richard knows something more
about this!).

Beatrice