[ilds] the hydroplane?

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Fri Jun 15 19:32:16 PDT 2007

One of the great mysteries of American literature is: what happened
to Gatsby's hydroplane? Gatsby asks Nick Carraway over for trial run
-- and then the hydroplane disappears.

But it reappears in the Duck Shoot episode, obviously appropriated by
Durrell. In terms of dollars and cents this may be Durrell's most
egregious appropriation to date. It has taken me years to trace what
happened to Gatsby's hydroplane, and I shall be reporting this to
Thursday Next for investigation.

Regarding my cursory collation of the Duck Shoot, it is now complete
-- and I found an added "a" and a few commas that have been removed.
Accidentals?

Have we discussed why the Duck Shoot is written in the present tense?

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *