[ilds] the Purdy

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 15 16:01:42 PDT 2007

Bill and Charles, if I may break into your dialogue with a little dissonance.  First, thanks to Charles for providing the image of a Purdy, which I've always wondered about.  Second, I don't go too deeply into character motivation here.  I took the Purdy to signify pretty much what "the great silver Rolls with the daffodil hub-caps" does -- that is, another touch of the exotic, or "adventitious," as Durrell might phrase it.  If you like skies of "hot nude pearl," you'll like a Purdy inlaid with a mother of pearl stock, which is sort of the way I imagined the high-end shotgun before seeing one "in the flesh."  Let's not forget that Alexandria and the Hosnani family represent, in part, wealth and extravagance.  I've lived in Hong Kong during the good old colonial days, and there I saw lots of Rolls-Royces and other symbols of conspicuous consumption.  Ken Seigneurie probably has something to say about all this and Edward Said, too, were he still around and deigned to comment.

Bruce