[ilds] the great duck shoot

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Jun 15 15:27:15 PDT 2007

On 6/15/2007 5:52 PM, william godshalk wrote:

>Yes, Charlie, that Justine gives Darley a Purdy (one of the best
>shotguns made -- you can find more information online -- which see)
>is surely significant. But why does he need the best gun?

Could you do me a favor, Bill?  I am up here in New York, so I do not
have all of my books and notes as I would like.  Could you collate the
paragraph "Justine and I are moving through the spiderweb" in /Faber
/1/1 Justine against the Faber 1962?  You will note, I think, that
Durrell tidies up the shotgun's make--from "light" to "stout."  Durrell
also makes several other changes throughout the Duck Shoot.  I apologize
that I cannot offer more than memory, but I would prefer to be
accurate.  Thanks!

>Da Capo's touch may be a goodbye gesture. Or the kiss of death?
>
>I come from a poor hunting family -- shotguns and rifles all around
>-- some handguns -- but we never went duck hunting. We were basically
>a rabbit/deer family. And we never really got started early in the morning.

Yes, I have to admit that my reading of the Duck Shoot is inflected by
my own experience.  Although we owned quite a bit of land and leased
rights to several ranches, I would not have enjoyed such a large hunt as
presented in /Justine/.  To this day I cannot easily contemplate hunting
without the idea of stewardship and caretaking.  The land and the game
must be watched and kept up year round for the hunt to count.  Yes, this
is a bit elitist.  And now that I live a scholar's life on a scholar's
means, I naturally do not wish to hunt.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University