[ilds] the great duck shoot

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Fri Jun 15 14:52:50 PDT 2007

Yes, Charlie, that Justine gives Darley a Purdy (one of the best
shotguns made -- you can find more information online -- which see)
is surely significant. But why does he need the best gun? Because
he'll need enough gun to get him through the day? Or is this a
goodbye present? Or a warning? If so, why this? He doesn't seem to
hunt on the nameless island -- or does he? Does he give the gun back to Nessim?

Da Capo's touch may be a goodbye gesture. Or the kiss of death?

I come from a poor hunting family -- shotguns and rifles all around
-- some handguns -- but we never went duck hunting. We were basically
a rabbit/deer family. And we never really got started early in the morning.

Bill (for starters)
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *