[ilds] Durrell's verbal style -- more questions

Marc Piel marcpiel at interdesign.fr
Tue Jun 12 23:52:03 PDT 2007

Hello everyone,
Some of you must have numeric versions of these
texts to be able to so easily find "words", etc...
It is very difficult for me to follow all of your
posts; Quantity and contents an I don't have
access to the same material.

Have you ever suddenly become aware of something
that you had never taken any notice of before and
suddenly everywhere you turned, everything you
did, "it was there"? This can happen for an idea,
a word, a colour, a phrase, a concept. We all live
in a moveable environment - and it is moving
faster and faster - some of us are more or less
"sensitive" to it.

This inevitably happened to LD also (very, very,
sensitive), and became part of his writing.

I recently told a woman (no lewd comments please)
that I loved "her from the bottom of my heart".
I think I had never used that expression in my
life and since, everywhere I turn it comes up.

Even our new french président used it in his
inaugural speech and last sunday I was showing
some visitors around; we were in a Paris cemetery;
discovered Maupassant's grave, and there on an
enamelled plate was that expression again.

Probably, I picked it up unconsciously and used
it. Surely this is a natural thing to do and
cannot be called "plagarism", or copying, or
anything done on purpose. When I read a book, I
often note phrases that impress me or that make me
think; not sure what I do with them after that. I
have piles of little cards and often I don't know
what know anymore what their source was - and it
doesn't really matter. By the way I am neither a
teacher nor a writer; I am a designer - I draw,
today on a computer: I'm just just someone
interested in ideas, like many people!

Marc Piel