[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 3, Issue 4

Durrell School of Corfu durrells at otenet.gr
Sun Jun 10 00:18:36 PDT 2007

Ann Ridler died 2 (?) years ago
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Edward Hungerford
  To: ilds at lists.uvic.ca
  Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:14 AM
  Subject: Re: [ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 3, Issue 4

  As to portions cut out of the MSS. version of Marine Venus :

    Message: 26
    Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 01:29:26 +0100
    From: Michael Haag <michaelhaag at btinternet.com>
    Subject: Re: [ilds] Durrell and Atkinson
    To: gifford at uvic.ca, ilds at lists.uvic.ca

    Is the pre-cuts MS of Marine Venus lying around anywhere? Any idea,
    James, of the precise nature of the cuts?

    :Michael

  I have been away for ten days in Washington State, and am catching up on past ILDS messages. In the question of whether large chunks cut out of Marine Venus, I recall that David Roessell, (name sp?) had investigated this closely , and he had talked with --or had correspondence with --the woman who was an editor at Faber & Faber,
  Anne Ridler, who did the editorial work. I gathered that the MS. was shorted by considerable --30 or 40 % maybe, --(I'm guessing) and that, yes, no doubt these portions cut out would probably have survived somewhere in the archives. This all came out at one of the Durrell Society's meetings, ten or a dozen years ago.
  By checking the index to Ian MacNiven's biography, much of this story emerges quite plainly. See: MacNiven, 373 : "His [Durrell's] discontent was increased by his seemingly eternal need to revise Reflections on a Marine Venus, which the Faber editors had told him lacked shape and pace and must be cut by almost half. His staunch friend Anne Ridler, still Eliot's assistant at Faber, would eventually come to h is rescue ..." etc. etc.
  If I were doing any research on this issue, which I am not, I would talk to MacNiven and determine where the correspondence with Anne Ridler is located [no doubt at the Faber publishing offices?], and there does seem to be quite a job of research to be done on this whole subject. Anne Ridler may still be a living presence, too, for all that I know. If she is retired and living in London, why not talk to her?

  http://www.eset.com