[ilds] RG Justine -- Aristophanes?

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 9 20:28:17 PDT 2007

I trust David's ear here, who is a Classicist.  I agree.  Durrell is probably dipping into the Greeks, probably Aristophanes, who, after all, is a soulmate of Durrell's -- one who one would enjoy slingers farting like goats.  (The Greeks as a whole seems to enjoy a good fart -- I recall that the reconstruction of the arrangement of oarsmen on a Greek trireme was based on some classical reference to one line of rowers farting in another line's faces.)  The "leather phallus," however, seems to me Roman, but maybe not.  Plautus?  Anyway, I'm probably under the influence of Fellini here.  But David would know.

Bruce