[ilds] RG Justine -- Xenophon's influence ends -- who next?

David Holdsworth holdsworth at rogers.com
Sat Jun 9 19:07:56 PDT 2007

This paragraph in Justine "with a column on the march.. open a major artery"
sounds to me more like references to ancient Greece than to Petronius.

The only seemingly direct reference to a Greek text I can come up with is
the following from Aristophanes' Clouds:

Durrell:

...schoolboys in naked ranks marching two abreast at dawn to the school of
the Harpmaster, through falling snow as thick as meal.

Aristophanes (Loeb 960-965):

To hear then prepare of the discipline rare which flourished in Athens of
yore

When Honour and Truth were in fashion with youth and Sobriety bloomed on our
shore

First of all the old rule was preserved in our school that "boys should be
seen and not heard"

And then to the home of the Harpist would come decorous in action and word

All the lads of one town, though the snow peppered down, in spite of all
wind and all weather

This doesn't explain the full paragraph in Durrell, however, nor is it
necessarily a direct Durrell quote from Aristophanes.

The "man with a torn ear" seems a reference to something the reader is
expected to recognize.

Maybe Bruce is right and there are several sources here. Any more ideas?

David Holdsworth

W. L. Godshalk           *
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *