[ilds] RG Justine -- the rose in her bed

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sat Jun 9 18:59:51 PDT 2007

"... knew that the quiet man there was thinking of the rose found in
her bed on the day of the Games. ..." (p. 179 Dutton first).

Even if we can't identify the source of this image, we can still
consider what the image of the rose in her bed means. For me, it's a
haunting image -- hardly one of happiness.

Winners in the games where often given roses as a symbol of success.
Is the quiet man grieving that his lover has slept with one of the
winners? The rose was Sappho's flower. Is the rose a symbol of
lesbian love? Is it a metaphor for blood? (If you think I'm thinking
of Hardy, I'm not.)

Later Nessim is "lost in the contemplation of a rose lying upon an
empty plate before him" (p. 182).

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *