[ilds] RG Justine

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sat Jun 9 12:38:21 PDT 2007

Douglas Bush, my dissertation director (or he would have been, but we
had "theses" rather than "dissertations") used to say that
similarities were less interesting that differences. I think I've
already made that comment, but it's still a good thought. The
similarities between Warner and Durrell simply tell us that Durrell
took material from Warner.

But this is one of Durrell's additions to Warner: "Macedonian
slingers-of-the-line farting like goats." Warner has no farting
goats, nor no slingers-of-the-line.

For some years after I first read this line, I had no idea what
Durrell meant by "farting like goats." But in 1964-1965 I had the
distinct pleasure of living next door to a herd of goats. A goat fart
sounds like a .22 rifle shot. Rather disconcerting the first time you
hear it from the adjoining field.

But why do Durrell's slingers fart like goats?

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *