[ilds] not mine and not his

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 13:16:32 PDT 2007

Bill, not my judgment.

By the way, I believe you mentioned recently that Durrell didn't much care to travel around.  Instead, he preferred to stay at home, read, and let his imagination soar.  True?  This is important, and I'm glad you brought that out.  It's fundamental to his life and work.  I'm surprised no one took up the topic and expanded on the implications.  I mean, isn't it stupendously ironic that a great travel writer didn't like to travel?  What does this say about the man.  This reminds me of Frederic Prokosch's book, The Asiatics (1935), a fictional travel book with little or no first-hand experience of the places depicted in the story, a "geographical novel," as Camus calls it.  This is the exact opposite of what Patrick Leigh Fermor does, whom Durrell knew.

Bruce