[ilds] Durrell's art of pastiche

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Tue Jun 5 11:21:14 PDT 2007

It seems at this point that we are not going to reach a consensus on
Durrell's composition habits, i.e. not identifying material he has
taken from others. Bruce finds all such borrowing reprehensible.
Jamie and Charlie want to contextualize the borrowing and thus temper
Bruce's judgment. I want to look at this "borrowing" from the
student's point of view. On the one hand a student is told not to
borrow without footnoting, on the other, the student is shown that
professional writers steal with both hands -- and the hell with
footnotes. Marc seems to wonder what the fuss is about, and Ilyas
finds Jamie's position most balanced. Michael seems to be annoyed
that the academics on the list are not standing firm on the issue of
plagiarism.

Can a major literary figure take paragraph after paragraph of other
writers' work and scape judgment?

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *