[ilds] plagiarism and borrowing by authors

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Jun 3 13:51:33 PDT 2007

On 6/3/2007 4:31 PM, william godshalk wrote:

>Is that fair?

I would like to particularize the debate.  None of what I am about to
ask ends any discussion or frees Durrell's /works /from our
questioning.  (However, the old fellow himself will always elude our
assertions and convictions and ultimate understanding.  "Mr. Larry.  He
dead.")

But what about the tradition of travel writing as explored in general by
Paul Fussell in /Abroad /and in specific by David Roessel in his Durrell
articles?  What was the tradition of travel writers using historical
sources and the memoirs of other travelers?  What did Norman Douglas do
with his sources in /Old Calabria/? or Robert Byron in /The Road to
Oxiana/? or Freya Stark in /The Valley of the Assassins/?  or, to make
another jump to something between fiction and fact, what about Forster
in /Pharos and Pharillon/?  Or Flaubert in /Salammbo/?

Douglas I will say has a very smooth surface to his narrative, barely
interrupted by any apparatus such as footnotes.  He does openly nod to a
source within the flow of the narrative with some frequency, and again
he was a marvellously self-conscious and wry indexer, but what else?
Surely it was "bad form" in that tradition to put out too academic of a
book?

Again, we are free to applaud or condemn as we choose in this
discussion.  But I have real difficulty in not particularizing the
context before issuing the citation.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University