[ilds] student plagiarism and borrowing by authors

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun Jun 3 13:31:24 PDT 2007

Marc,

This was aimed at the academics on the list. I admit it.

I believe that my students feel that I don't talk enough.

I use the modified Socratic method when I teach. I ask students to
confront and answer questions. I do not give them answers, only questions.

For example, I would ask them to confront the paradox of teachers
defending plagiarism in a major author, and at the same time
disciplining students who do the same thing, calling it plagiarism.
Durrell copies from Sophie Fitzgerald and we defend him. Students
copy from the same source without using footnotes, and the student
may be expelled from the university. The student's record is
tarnished; Durrell's is not.

Is that fair?

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*