[ilds] Atkinson and Durrell

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Jun 3 10:51:44 PDT 2007

On 6/3/2007 12:05 PM, william godshalk wrote:

>Yes, gentle folks, "as it were" is the giveaway. Durrell wrote that one.

Nice job, Richard & Co.  An interesting alignment of passages, Godshalk
Sahib.  But then I would expect no less from so many old hands trained
in playing the "Jewel Game."

Any thoughts about Durrell's stylistic tic, his habitual use of the "as
if" and "as it were"?  Bill can give us some examples of the former, I
know, as he has asked me before if I have noted tendency to pitch his
similes in that characteristic phrasing.

I would love to play along but I am catching the plane to London.  CLS

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu