[ilds] Durrell and Atkinson

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sun Jun 3 06:13:36 PDT 2007

Having read so much back and forth discussion about a nearly-invisible
book, the bibliographer on the list is moved to act.  After all, when
evidence is heard in court, one prefers to have the specific, concrete,
locatable evidence.  Let specificty thrive.

Not many people subscribing will have quick access to a copy of
Atkinson's book.  Only 46 major libraries worldwide catalog /An Artist
in Corfu/ (1911) in their collections.  I have found a total of 3 copies
for sale this morning in a quick survey of online catalogs.  Bill is
correct.  An average price is US $300 / GB £150.  Therefore I attach the
following image and description for your enjoyment.  A pretty little
volume from the early twentieth century.

To paraphrase an old folk tune from the left, "Come back, Alan Thomas,
we need you today."  Surely AGT was one reader who would have known
precisely what LD had been "up to" in /Prosepero's Cell/?  From his
letters and the one film appearance I have seen, he seems "quick" in
that way.

Charles

                                                                            An
                                                                            Artist
                                                                            in
                                                                            Corfu.
                                                                            Written
                                                                            and
                                                                            Pictured
                                                                            by
                                                                            Sophie
                                                                            Atkinson.

*

Author Name:   ATKINSON, SOPHIE:
Title:    An Artist in Corfu. Written and Pictured by Sophie Atkinson.
Publisher:    Herbert & Daniel, London 1911 (1st.).*
http://www.puddletownbookshop.co.uk/si/49365.html
Seller ID:   49365

Tall 8vo. Beige cloth with decor. and lettering in gold on spine and
front cover. Pictorial endpapers. 15 coloured plates and a sketch map.
215 pp. Top edge gilt. Nice copy, but the lower edge / margin of both
covers is slightly stained. Inside very clean, only one plate is
slightly stained on lower corner. Very good.

sophie atkinson, an artist in corfu, corfu, Achilleion, olive pickers,
fortezza vecchia, fishing port, st. Michaele, greece, ulysses, crusaders,

Price = 150.00 GBP

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu