[ilds] Atkinson stands in for personal memories

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sat Jun 2 18:16:08 PDT 2007

I wonder if Durrell uses Atkinson because he himself did NOT
experience the processions and festivals that he wanted to write
about. I know that I've written this before, but Jean Franchette told
me that Durrell was not the adventurous sort. He'd rather sit in the
chair than go to the Gypsy conclave. He needed sources because he had
no memories to draw from.

I wish someone would convince me otherwise.

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *