[ilds] Atkinson and Durrell again

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat Jun 2 14:31:35 PDT 2007

On 6/2/2007 4:51 PM, william godshalk wrote:

>> *
>> *
>>
>>     *"The long conversations held between Augusta and Spiridion" as
>>     they were smuggled "slung" in "two shapeless sacks."
>>     *
>>

> You are safe on this one, I think. I wonder if this is a Jurgen-type
> /conversation./

I discern a bit of the knowing skepticism of Norman Douglas in the way
Durrell has a lark with the petty histories of inanimate relics and
their devotees. "/I cannot believe/ however that such a long journey can
have passed without some exchange of theological pleasantries."  "They
must"/"the air must have"/"the incessant halts must have."  Very
"musty," indeed.  That string of subjunctive marks out a  good bit of
fancy or "belief."  And the writer is not one of the incurious
"hagiographers."  Believers lack a certain imaginative flair necessary
to bring the saints' lives to life, but the skeptic can do it.  A "mock"
in the older and newer sense.  A wonderful passage.  An article of my
belief.  Will it last?

But since I am packing I am unable to unpack the memory with specific ND
moments.  Strachey can also do this sort skeptical fantastic with his
subjects' lives.  I am thinking about the life of Gordon, the way
Strachey inhabits a believer's fanaticism--creatively supposing his
moments of crisis--without believing himself.

C&c.

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu