[ilds] Time and Justine

Ilyas Khan ilyas.khan at crosby.com
Sat Jun 2 12:15:30 PDT 2007

Charles, in the note below you ask people about Justine ­ and how they read
now compared to their first encounter. You also make the point about the
rhythm and ³music² that appeals now more than simple narrative or even (dare
I say it) plot.

I first picked up the quartet when I was in my late teens. The impact was
immediate, and even now there is more than a trace of tangible memory.
Picking up a particular version of the quartet is almost as bitter sweet as
hearing a song or seeing some old sepia stained photograph.

Like many others I also continue to be amazed at how much I missed (or maybe
how much has since been revealed) through the text over the years. I have
gotten into the habit of revisiting the quartet after a period of time, and
most recently (prompted by getting up the nerve to be more active on this
email list) I¹ve lost myself in Justine and Balthazar over the past couple
of weeks.

Some of my fellow members of the list might identify with this small example
of the pleasure of revisiting the quartet. I remember once going through the
book, methodically noting down those words that I did not understand, and
being mature enough (and sensible enough ?) to organise my reading so that I
could go back and appreciate the writing as it was meant to be understood. I
must have been 21, I think, and words such as ratiocinative, integument
hebetude, paturition and the luciously addictive crepuscular (³.......dense
crepuscular evening²) first made their introduction into my vocabulary when
I still had hair enough to wear it to my shoulders.

Knowing what will happen in the coming paragraphs and pages has not (yet...)
made my pilgrimages any less enjoyable.

Oh yes, Charles, one thing that I think is probably a bit different from
you, is that my reading tends to be of the books as a whole, rather than
forays into specfic parts from time to time. That must, I believe, have some
impact on our appreciation and perception of the story being told.

Ilyas