[ilds] the bar as a centre of learning

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat Jun 2 06:03:07 PDT 2007

On 6/2/2007 12:21 AM, Denise Tart & David Green wrote:

> Durrell may well have approved. And people on this list with names
> like Bruce Redwine make me confident that enjoying the fruit of vine
> is something many on this list share with LD. One of the things I have
> always liked about LD is that he was a vinuous soul inspired by wine
> and sun and women and warm, relaxed landscapes (why not?).

Good call, David.  Even here at 8:17 AM I respond heartily to your
night's note.

> Ink become wine! Wine be blood!
> O spirit, the leopard, eat body's food!

>         -- THEMES HERALDIC [from Collected Poems: 1931-1974 (1985),
>         Faber and Faber]

Over a decade ago we established what has now become an On Miracle
Ground tradition.  The best hotels for OMG are hotels fitted out with
roof gardens.  The best roof gardens are fitted out with bars or quick
access to bars.  You will understand the logic of our logistics.
Everything else can be negotiated or accommodated.

The Cecil in Alex had already closed down its old rood garden by 1996.
New regulations and a general tightening of local morals spelled its
end.  With dust comes thirst, but as Durrell says, the old Alex is
gone.  As Swinburne says--another brave tippler--"Thou hast conquered, O
pale [theocratian]; the world has gone grey from thy breath."  But we
made close friends with the night staff at the Cecil and overcame
provincial prejudices and I have many fond memories of sitting up until
the street noise below went to bed, sipping my Aegyptian Stella,
watching alien constellations sink themselves deep into the Eastern
Harbor.  What is the status of the Cecil's Roof Garden now, Michael?  Do
these photo from the web have any truth or is it all tourist propaganda?
Cecil Hotel terrace

<http://www.touregypt.net/magazine/mag10012000/magf2a.htm>

<http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fichehotel/gb/sof/1726/fiche_hotel.shtml>

http://edvista.com/holidays/03/egypt/cornichealex.jpg

<http://edvista.com/holidays/03/egypt/index.html>

With good fortune, we continued the tradition in Cincinnati and on
Corfu.  On Corfu at the Cavalieri strong nights watching the swallows
race about against the arc-lit sky above the fort while the children
raced about below in the park.  And Stoney had a guitar.

What will Paris hold for us?  Will we have a "closing of the brothels"
redux when we arrive only to learn that some pale apparatchik in the EU
has prohibited nightlife upon the roofs of Paris?   More research is
necessary.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University