[ilds] EMF

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 1 20:05:12 PDT 2007

Since then Forster's Egyptian writings have been turned out as an
Abinger edition under the general editorship of Frank Kermode.
Published as ALEXANDRIA: A HISTORY AND A GUIDE and PHAROS AND
PHARILLON, Andre Deutsch, London 2004, it was edited by Professor
Miriam Allott (widow of Kenneth Allott).  It is an immense work of
scholarship by Miriam, who checked original papers, variant editions,
tracked down references, and who has produced a book of something like
130 pages of fascinating footnotes.  P N Furbank and I gave some help,
and in fact I travelled with Miriam to Alexandria to show her around;
she was working on her Abinger as I was working on my Alexandria: City
of Memory, and we corresponded a lot during that time, trading
information, and visited one another a lot (and drank a lot of
champagne, of which Miriam keeps several cases in supply).  I got The
American University in Cairo Press to publish it for the Middle East.

:Michael