[ilds] Plagiarism and borrowing -- some examples?

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 1 19:10:12 PDT 2007

I did in fact provide the details for Caesar's Vast Ghost, but I will
do so again.

In the Faber hardback first edition see pages 130-131; in the Faber
paperback edition see pages 129-131.  These probably match the pages of
the American editions.  Or in the index look up Cleopatra and Actium.
The relevant portion is from the paragraph beginning 'Antony's
greatness was as a land-commander' to the paragraph ending 'the awful
truth when it at last followed him to Egypt'.  The copying is virtually
word for word throughout; where there are variations, and they are very
slight, they are inferior to my version which is found in my notes to E
M Forster's Alexandria: A History and a Guide, published by Michael
Haag, London 1982, pages 246-7 (revised London 1986, pages 247-8).

I will be looking at the copy of Sophie Atkinson's An Artist in Corfu
held at the British Library.

As for Fedden's introduction to the Personal Landscape, here Durrell
merely borrows and adapts; I mention it on page 295 of my Alexandria:
City of Memory, where I write: He {Fedden] became an extension of
Durrell's own experience of the country, as when Fedden wrote in his
introduction to the anthology of the resident foreigner's sense of
"cultural" and "psychological isolation" in Egypt, where "the current
of thought sets towards Mecca and the European is inevitably swimming
all the time against the stream", which later found its way into the
Quartet where Darley speaks of "our isolation from the warm Gulf Stream
of European feelings and ideas.  All the currents slide away towards
Mecca"'.

For Fedden, see PL, 10; for Durrell's version, see Balthazar, AQ
(omnibus edition), 280.

Apart from adopting Fedden's prose, Durrell also adopted a fair measure
of Fedden's sexual conquests as his own.

:Michael