[ilds] Plagiarism - and Caesar's Vast Ghost

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 1 17:32:57 PDT 2007

Actually we know for certain that Durrell did not write two pages of
Caesar's Vast Ghost.  How much of the rest he did write, I do not know.
  I certainly have no preconceived view about that.  But if one finds
out that Durrell is not entirely the author of Caesar's Vast Ghost, and
that he is not entirely the author of Prospero's Cell (which I am
accepting from Richard Pine but will check myself), and when one reads
Bill Godshalk's academic article about 'borrowings' in the Alexandria
Quartet, then questions arise.  I am not particularly objecting to this
practice of Durrell's, but I am interested in identifying it, and I am
also interested in understanding why it happens.  Biography requires a
spirit of inquiry.

:Michael