[ilds] Plagiarism - and Caesar's Vast Ghost

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 1 14:29:06 PDT 2007

This begs the question of who wrote the book and why it is being read.
Leaving aside textual criticism, there is the simple matter of the
reader buying a book which he thinks is by Lawrence Durrell.  As
Richard Pine himself wrote in his review of Caesar's Vast Ghost which
appeared in  Deus Loci in 1992, this is 'a beautiful book ... which
will entrance and engage the general reader: for avid Durrellians it is
a powerful restatement of many of his recurring themes. ... It touches
all his previous work'.  And yet we do not know how much of Caesar's
Vast Ghost Durrell actually wrote.

:Michael