[ilds] Colonial angst

Lea Stogdale leadale at mts.net
Fri Jun 1 11:12:29 PDT 2007

David's comments are perceptive.
As an ex-aussie now Canadian, I view this from both sides (of the world).
We Canadians save our energy, enthusiasm and antagonism for the elephant
whose bed (rock) we share. England has become a nice place to visit, albeit
rather expensive, and still produces the best movies and humour (Borat
excepted). Sports matter? Okay, and we are most passionate about sports
shared with, and vigorously contested against, such countries as Norway,
Russia and Sweden (curling, ice hockey and social justice). Canada's
seminal war history battle was in WW I at Diep - overall a victory, and our
troops' liberation of Netherlands in WW II is still celebrated and
appreciated there as well as here. Although many young men, boys really,
died, Diep was not the folly or the slaughter of Gallipoli. Gallipoli (in
Turkey) is the most heart wrenching place to visit, as is the movie to
watch; how to create a pacifist.
Lea

As to Canadians, I met one years ago in a bar in, strangely enough, Corfu
and we discussed the relationship with the mother country. Whether Canada's
proximity to the USA make a difference or not, I don't know, but there is
less antagonism toward Britain than is felt by many Australians - of course
much of this is fuelled by sporting rivalry on the rugby and cricket pitch
and by nationalist movies like Gallipoli that depict the English as
incompetent snobs who got thousands of Aussie boys killed in Turkey for no
good reason. In point of fact, the Aussies were perfectly capable of their
own incompetence and proved remarkable adept at useless heroics which saw
hundreds of them killed.
David Green

Checked by AVG.
PM