[ilds] Plagiarism - and Caesar's Vast Ghost

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 1 12:05:19 PDT 2007

James has touched on a number of interesting points, but right now I
will refer only to one -- the authorship of Caesar's Vast Ghost.

In fact I raised the question of plagiarism (many moons ago, it seems
now) because I was implicitly questioning how can one analyse and
develop theories about a text when one does not know the origin and
history of the text -- or how useful is such analysis and theorising
without first establishing the authorship or authenticity of the text.
Suppose there are parts of the Alexandria Quartet that were not written
by Durrell at all?  Suppose Durrell never wrote Caesar's Vast Ghost?

Seeing two pages of my own writing in Caesar's Vast Ghost immediately
alerted me to this problem and led me to ask questions.  Was the
inclusion of my text Durrell's own choice?  Or, more radically, did
Durrell write Caesar's Vast Ghost at all?  And all the possibilities in
between -- how much of it is his, how finished are those parts which
may be his, who made the selection, who made the arrangement, etc.

As it happens I have looked into this pretty thoroughly and have spoken
to the suspects, starting with Durrell himself and working outwards,
and I have also spoken with the relevant editors at Faber and Faber,
and I have looked into Durrell's notebooks.  And I have a pretty good
idea of Durrell's state of health and his awareness at the time, of the
contractual circumstances, and so on.  In other words I have gone to
original sources and have put the whole thing into context.

Things written about Durrell which operate in a realm entirely detached
from, indeed often contemptuous of, fundamental matters of authenticity
are in my experience without interest or value.  Having said that, I am
also aware that there are people who are very much doing primary work
and whose thoughts arise out of that; the interest of what they are
doing immediately stands out.  An awareness of very real contingencies
affecting the creation of work, as for example James has set out below
with regard to Caesar's Vast Ghost, is extremely important; it provides
a touchstone for meaningful discussion of Durrell's work.

:Michael