[ilds] Durrell's British citizenship

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 09:21:39 PDT 2007

Thanks, Michael for the thorough explanation.  I'm still puzzled by British law.  Having recognized there was a problem with the Act of 1966, why didn't Parliament correct it?  Such as extend the time to register as a British citizen?  Surely Lawrence Durrell wasn't the only UK "citizen" suddenly finding himself a foreigner in his own country, because of some arcane provision in the act.  I guess the answer is obvious.  Parliament did not consider that a "problem."  This sounds a little like the current debate in the U.S. over immigration policy.

Bruce