[ilds] fessin up

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 19:11:05 PDT 2007

Bill, if Durrell had done what you did, this discussion about plagiarism would have ended long ago.  He didn't.  What I see he did was wrong on at least two counts.  One, he committed an offense to the person he stole the material from.  Two, he posed as someone he wasn't, which is an offense to his audience and to himself.  Now, some may argue that Durrell's game was to assume multiple identities or some such literary activity, and for those, I guess, no offense was done.  I find that argument unconvincing.  Some writers like to strike poses, Lord Byron for one, but when they do it you know they're doing it, because they make sure you know it -- that's Romantic irony.  Not so with LD, in the instance or instances under discussion.

Bruce