[ilds] Plagiarism

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Thu May 31 10:34:52 PDT 2007

I was not going to raise this because of my personal involvement, but
James' defence of Durrell's plagiarism as outlined below is yet another
example of 'the academy's' willingness to think up idiotic
rationalisations instead of arriving at a principled position.  The
principle may be that it is OK to steal texts, in which case they can
start by stealing each other's PhD dissertations, and allow their
students to steal their term papers from the internet.  Or they can say
only 'great writers' are entitled to steal, in which case they had
better start defining who those people are and how far their licence
runs.  That is not the law, however, which unlike the academy takes a
firm and straightforward view on what is right and wrong.  I could
easily use James' argument below to explain that I had broken into his
home, stolen his belongings, but that it was perfectly all right as he
would have known, or at some point was likely to find out, that I had
done so.  As I have said before, I was flattered to have had two pages
stolen by Durrell for use in his book, and so personally I have let it
pass.  But it is not a practice that is defensible.  I would not get
very far if I stole two pages of Justine and published it as my own
work.

Durrell has done this quite a lot.  I had not known about the
Prospero's Cell plagiarism until Richard Pine brought it to our
attention.  I will be looking into that thoroughly now.

I have spotted quite a bit of close lifting if not outright plagiarism
in Justine and other volumes of the Quartet, taken from sources like
Robin Fedden's contributions to the Personal Landscape anthology, and
from Leeder's study of the Copts, Modern Sons of the Pharaohs.  In fact
it is pretty funny, because Manzaloui in his 'Curate's Egg: An
Alexandrian Opinion of Durrell's Quartet' attacked Durrell for his
supposedly faulty understanding of this and that, and it turns out that
the fault lies largely in the material Durrell lifted from supposedly
reputable sources -- this is what Bill demonstrated in his article
'Some Sources of Durrell's AQ' (these and others can be found in
Critical Essays on Lawrence Durrell, ed Alan Warren Friedman, Boston
1987).

It is astounding how little 'the academy' troubles to examine source
material in the case of Durrell, how its theorising is based almost
entirely on principles of careless free association, self indulgence,
or ideological mongering, unrestrained by reference to evidence,
context, biography or the other usual constraints.  There is plenty of
work to be done.

:Michael