[ilds] Plagiarism

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 10:02:27 PDT 2007

James, I've only seen one example of Durrell's plagiarism -- the one Michael Haag pointed out in Caesar's Vast Ghost.  That I find blatant and inexcusable, and, if that is typical of Durrell's method in this regard, then I'm greatly saddened.  It's simply wrong, and I don't buy any arguments about textuality and intertextuality and the like.  I'm told there are other examples in other works, presumably the travel literature, and it would be interesting to see someone make a serious study of the evidence and draw some conclusions.  Didn't someone say Bill was working on this?  I'd like to see what he comes up with.  I acknowledge that the problem is complicated, but I think if a writer is borrowing verbatim or almost so from another writer, then he ought to make the reader aware of that in some way.  And there are many ways to do that.  As I told Michael, Durrell could have brought in the real or a fictional "Michael Haag" and had him deliver his own lines.  Gary Synder in "Myths & Texts" does something like that when he introduces the real John Muir, the naturalist and explorer, into his long poem and then quotes almost verbatim from one of Muir's books or notebooks -- without quotation marks.  That bothers me, but at least Synder make an effort at attribution.  Ezra Pound (whom I like) probably started this whole craze with his shenanigans.  I don't think Durrell did any lifting in his poetry, though.  And that is telling -- he found poetry too sacred to try and get away with any funny stuff.

Bruce