[ilds] Durrell's Notebooks

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Thu May 31 09:16:46 PDT 2007

On 5/31/2007 12:01 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:

>Does any scholar out there have plans to publish Durrell's many notebooks?  That would seem a very worthy enterprise, although finding a publisher undoubtedly difficult.

My work right now centers upon the notebooks and typescripts for the
/Quartet/, Bruce.  I am currently digitizing the whole span of the
/Quartet  /materials for my own research, and yes indeed--/D.E.V./
(/Durrell Estate Willing/)--someday I will want to bring out the
notebooks in a facsimile edition.   James Gifford has worked closely
with the /Quintet /materials, and if I may speak for us both it is
something a vision for us someday to bring out all of Durrell's working
materials.

As you say, a worthy enterprise.  Print publishers will increasingly be
dropping such projects--that is a definite trend, not a prediction.  It
simply costs too much, and libraries, as we have discussed here, are
more and more unwilling to pay.   In many ways digital editions offer
more accessibility and better reproduction, but yes a book edition might
also be undertaken with sufficient financial backing.

I hope to have the good news for you one day, Bruce.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu