[ilds] RG Justine 2.10 -- Justine's Skin

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:00:45 PDT 2007

For Justine's dark versus pale skin, in one scene she is clothed and in the
other she is not -- the pale skin and the dark skin would seem to reflect
those areas alternately exposed or protected from the sun...  On a literal
level, this gives Bill the sexiness he's been watching for, but more
seriously, it draws our eyes as readers to the pattern of Darley's eyes as a
lover, per se.  We only get to see what we're wanted to see, making us ogle
the text, so to speak.  A typical trick in LD and many other authors
(Hemingway is a master at this).

I'll leave the original comments below in an abbreviate form.

--j