[ilds] Vedas v. Corfu

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:29:59 PDT 2007

Marc Piel comments:

> Might I add that the
> publication dates are not necessarily significant,
> especially for the "Quintet", because I believe
> that, perhaps different from the AQ, it was
> planned form the outset.

I can't get into details here, lest I let something slip that should be
forthcoming in a nasty academic piece, but the Quintet was not planned as
such from the outset...  Durrell came into the form and the work as a whole
while _Monsieur_ was in proofs and _Livia_ existed only as a first
chapter...

More to follow on that.

As for the first publication of _A Smile in the Mind's Eye_, it was not 1994
after his death.  It was first published in London by Wildwood House in
1980, and it includes a reprint of "The Tao and Its Glozes" from _The Aryan
Path_ 10.12 (1939), pp. 585-587.

If Durrell had found answers, he found them in 1939...  I suspect he left
those answers behind.

Best,