[ilds] Spares and Accidents

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed May 30 09:42:40 PDT 2007

Charles, wonderful culling.  I wonder if this had anything to do with the mechanical problems Durrell seemed to have with his various cars -- they were often breaking down, accidentally or not, and he would go off in search of spares, as happens in A Smile in the Mind's Eye.  That search then takes him out of the Tibetan monastery and eventually leads to the encounter with Vega or Chantal de Legume.  Spares and accidents seem to be narrative devices for Durrell.  They probably run or clunk through his entire work.  Then again, as we all know, that's the way life or reality works.

Bruce