[ilds] Durrell's Accent

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed May 30 09:23:20 PDT 2007

Denise Tart and David Green call Durrell's accent "impeccably posh."  That's not my sense of it, but I'm not British.  In 1961, I heard him reading his poetry on an LP, and my reaction then was that his accent was not "upper class."  I associate that with the Oxbridge accent (having little exposure to the Queen).  How would a Brit classify Durrell's accent?  Accent tells a lot about a person and his or her persona.  I assume that whatever accent he had that it was natural and not affected, as some people's can be.  Brits speak of the upper class accent as being "clipped" -- a phonetic description I've never understood.  Can someone also explain this?

Bruce