[ilds] RG Justine 3.1 Pursewarden and King Lear

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Wed May 30 08:48:45 PDT 2007

On 5/30/2007 11:29 AM, James Gifford wrote:

>I think this may be justifiably called a trend.  The references to Blake in
>_Balthazar_ were initially to Keats, yet having a character by the same name
>was apparently too confusing to manage.  My hunch, given Durrell's
>frequently plays on Shax (ahem...), is that the MacBeth reference was just
>too obvious, so some fiddling was necessary.  I'd argue that any reference
>to Shakespeare (in particular) is a reference to the oeuvre in general,
>which may or may not specifically align with the play mentioned or alluded
>to.  Of course, just what Shax meant for Durrell I can't say, but I can
>imagine far more than one erudite article on the topic...  I'm dabbling on
>some things for _Prospero's Cell_, but nothing I plan to really get into any
>time soon.

Thanks, Jamie, and good to hear from you in your travels.  Bill--Darley
tells us that "a brilliant yellow patch on the dune showed up the cover
of a pocket /King Lear/" (3.1).  You are a bibliographer and a
collector.  Does that "yellow patch" spring from anything other than
Durrell's imagination?  What pocket edition in yellow boards or covers
could Darley/Durrell be recalling?

"Beloved Elizas"!  Alan G. Thomas would tell us how much it cost to post
this to LD if we could still catch him.

I have just been listening to a wonderful interview that Durrell did
with the CBC (1968) in which he declares that he is "a spare parts
man"--taking bits and pieces from reality and remaking them as his own.
(For a transcript, see Ingersoll 100.)

Charles

--
Wake Forest University