[ilds] L shaped

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Wed May 30 04:15:56 PDT 2007

Justine's Summer Palace at Burg el Arab is a real place -- or rather
Burg el Arab is a real place which has given its name to the several
houses built there in the 1920s and 1930s.

Burg el Arab means Tower of the Arabs and refers to a tower built
probably in the Roman period (though some have argued Ptolemaic) in the
form of the Pharos but one-tenth its size.  It has been thought to have
been a lighthouse, like the Pharos in Alexandria, but there is also
opinion that it was built as a very large funerary monument.  The tower
stands on a limestone ridge running along the coast west of Alexandria.
  Durrell went swimming near here with Eve and friends in 1944, a moment
he describes in a letter to Miller in May that year.  The photograph
below shows the ancient tower.