[ilds] satori?

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 17:23:13 PDT 2007

Durrell mentions D. T. Suzuki, one of the popularizers of Zen Buddhism for an American audience, in note 4 of A Smile in the Mind's Eyes, and Miller talks about it in a 1939 letter.  Durrell himself talks about Herrigel's famous Zen in the Art of Archery in a letter to Miller in 1957.  That year is the time of the Beats in San Francisco, who spread the word about Zen through the literature of Kerouac and Snyder, et al.  Zen and Satori were very much in the air in the 1950s.  Durrell's fancy, however, is for Taoism, which is not the same as Zen but similar.  I will not attempt to define either of them.  Both "systems" oppose verbalization, which is maybe why Durrell likes to rest his case in Justine on "silence."

Bruce